I've been wanting to do this project for a while and when my husband called to say he could pick up the kids from school...I got started.
This is a print from Kohl's that used to hang in our upstairs hallway. After we repainted this summer, I knew it wouldn't be used again as it was...
but I knew it had potential.
As I was clearing my desk today I found a set of vinyl wall words that I have intended on hanging in one of our boys' rooms for quite some time...
but putting it on the wall is so...permanent.
First, I put two coats of old white paint on the picture. This is an unframed picture that is sturdy...not a canvas, but that would work too.
I measured and adjusted the words to fit the dimensions of the picture...
the word CHARACTER just fit.
It was meant to be.
I attached the wall vinyls following the package instructions and
sealed them real good with the tool they provide.
Then a coat of graphite paint was
applied over the entire surface.
Once the graphite paint was dry, I used a razor blade to lift the vinyl and peel it off. It was going well, until RIP! The "A" was connected to the letter below it and I tore the paper on the original picture. If I hadn't had three little boys watching me I would have used a few choice words. Dang.
So, I got out my pencil and drew in some lines and painted around them.
Not too bad of a repair job...even my husband was impressed. The paper backing is a little crinkly...a canvas would work perfect for this project.
I lightly sanded the edges and the entire surface to age it a little and blend in some of the paint that bled through.
I covered it with a little wax and buffed it. I propped it up in the guest room, but it will hang in our oldest son's room...hopefully as a constant reminder.
Thanks for visiting.